Saturday, October 10, 2009

Retail and Commission

If you work in retail for commission, here's a tip. Slow down the whole transaction process. When I worked at an electronic's store we were to sell the insurance on everything where applicable. I used to ask if they wanted it at the very end and they'd always say no. Because if you tell a customer their total, then ask if they want insurance for $200-$500 on the TV, they won't. They already have set in their mind the total of the sale.
So then I started asking if they wanted insurance, accessories, etc, mid way through the sale as we were talking about the product. They got it probably about 40% of the time. Then I understood I had to ask it early, but not too early because you don't want to come off as pushy as that's a major turn off to the customer. Sometimes they didn't get certain accessories at the time but they did seek me out on another day and purchase what I suggested. I'd even see them get the things they needed from someone else, which in the name of good customer service, I'm glad they got what they needed.

So simply slowing down the transaction and asking if they want insurance and accessories early and throughout the sale is helpful.

No comments:

Post a Comment